Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010: grieving Joannie Rochette wins figure skating bronze medal

Bystaff and agencies Published: 9:16AM GMT twenty-six February 2010

Winter Olympics 2010: Joannie Rochette wins bronze in figure skating short program Emotional: Jeannie Rochette pronounced receiving to the ice dual days after losing her mother was the hardest thing she has ever finished Photo: GETTY IMAGES

The universe china medallist"s 55-year-old mother Therese died from a heart conflict 4 days ago in Vancouver. And the immature skater put her pique at the at the behind of of her to lift out a gutsy opening that gave her an Olympic bronze in a difficult margin led by exile South Korean gold-medal leader Kim Yu-Na.

Rochette explained how she had been carrying a complaint with one of her three times jumps, the lutz, and she phoned her mother.

Alcott fears for her destiny Pengilly inaugurated onto IOC row The stately enchilada McIvor wins Olympic ski cranky bullion Jamaican Errol Kerr on his Winter Olympics entrance Canada"s ice dancers applaud Olympic bullion

"It was my idea entrance here to be on the lectern and my mother told me last week "you"re going to get it. I know it,"" pronounced Rochette.

"I"m certain if she could have seen my three times lutz tonight, she would have been proud."

The 24-year-old certified it was a conflict to contest but she had been increased by the thousands of messages of await she perceived from around the world.

"I felt so most love in so small time," she said. "All of your comments and all of your letters unequivocally helped me in one approach or an additional get on the ice and movement here for myself, for my nation and for my mother."

Taking to the ice for Tuesday"s short programme was the toughest, she said.

"It was the initial foe given it happened and it"s the initial critical foe that my mother was not in the stands attending.

"Even though I was perplexing to be an contestant focused on my goals, emotions only took the most appropriate out of me. I was unapproachable that I could carry out them.

"I unequivocally didn"t feel similar to skating given my mind was not unequivocally here and I"m blissful I did it given in 10 years and the suffering is left afar a small bit, I would have wished I had skated here and that"s one of the reasons because I did it and I know that"s what my mother would have longed for me to do."

She came at the behind of on the ice Thursday night, and skating after the spellbinding opening of Kim was means to lift out her own most appropriate ever free movement to Camille Saint-Saens" "Samson and Delilah."

Despite two-footing dual of her jumps, she hermetic the last lectern mark with her most appropriate ever free movement measure of 131.28 and an altogether 202.64.

It was scarcely twenty-six points at the at the behind of of Kim but it was great sufficient for bronze at the at the behind of of china medallist Mao Asada of Japan.

Being in the "Kiss and Cry" area watchful for the formula was hardest.

"I pronounced "hello" to everybody in my home locale similar to I regularly do. Usually I contend hi to my mother and father first, so that was a small opposite today. I couldn"t contend hi to my mom."

She added: "She was regularly unapproachable of me. She was my greatest fan, my most appropriate friend. She was with me each step of the way."

Rochette additionally had the throng on their feet after putting Canada at the behind of on the women"s lectern for the initial time given Elizabeth Manley took china at the 1988 Calgary Games.

"I goal this award will enthuse a new era of skaters." she added.

No comments:

Post a Comment